How to Get Rid of Gas and Bloating
If bloating has become a common occurrence in your life, you’ll need more than quick fixes to get rid of it. A diet and lifestyle change may be in order. In the meantime, many natural remedies can help you expel that excess gas.
So get ready to burp or find a private corner to expel that gas the other way with these simple remedies.
Method 1: Use Mustard
A teaspoon of mustard is effective not just for heartburn, but also when you’re troubled with gas and bloating. Mustard increases salivation, which promotes digestion. Also, being antispasmodic and antibacterial, it helps expel the intestinal gas, thus relieving bloating.
If you’re suffering from persisting bloating, regular consumption of mustard can help relieve the symptoms.
Single-Step Treatment: Consume plain mustard
- Consume 1 tablespoon of plain yellow mustard and wash it down with a glass of warm water for instant relief. If you find the taste too repulsive to consume the given quantity, try 1 to 2 teaspoons of it.
- If you can’t take it straight, mix in a little honey to improve the taste.
- You can also take it with buttermilk or tea.
Method 2: Use Baking Soda
Baking soda is a great quick fix when it comes to bloating. It reacts with stomach acids to produce carbon dioxide and initiate belching, which helps release the trapped intestinal gas and provide immediate relief.
Although great for a quick fix, frequent and over-consumption of baking soda should be avoided, as it leads to increased production of stomach acid that can give rise to gastrointestinal problems over time. You should also avoid this remedy if you’re on a low-sodium diet, as 1 teaspoon of baking soda contains almost one-third of the daily sodium requirement of an average person.
Things you’ll need:
- Water – 1 cup
- Baking soda (helps release the trapped intestinal gas) – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon, medium-sized – ½
Step 1. Combine baking soda with lemon juice and water
- Squeeze the juice from half a lemon into a glass.
- Add 1 teaspoon of baking soda to it.
- Pour in 1 cup of water. Stir to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
Step 2. Stir and consume the baking soda drink
- Stir to mix the ingredients thoroughly.
- Consume this baking soda drink to initiate belching and release the abdominal gas in few minutes.
Method 3: Drink Peppermint Tea
Anecdotal accounts render peppermint tea as an effective remedy for gas and bloating. The menthol oil present in the peppermint tea is responsible for its benefits. It relieves the spasms in the muscles to allow the body to pass the gas through flatulence, thus getting rid of bloating.
The components in peppermint help get the gas moving instead of letting it accumulate and cause pain and distension in the stomach.
Step 1. Make a cup of peppermint tea
- Put 1 peppermint tea bag into 1 cup of boiling hot water.
- Allow the tea to steep for 5 to 10 minutes, as per your taste preference.
- Remove and discard the tea bag after steeping.
Step 2. Drink the peppermint tea before bed
- Drinking this peppermint tea can help relieve gas and bloating within minutes.
- Drinking this tea before bed can ease digestion, prevent bloating and help you ease into sleep.